Meeting of the Minds

Meeting of the Minds

Sunday, February 22, 2015

A shift in focus for the Blog....I think for the better.

I am approaching the end of my third year blogging very sporadically about Joe-scaled vehicles under the notion that I was going to devise some way to measure their relative effectiveness as weapons in the real world.  I understood from the beginning that this would create a lot of attrition amongst the classic vehicles beloved by the fandom. This created bigger problems than I thought for a couple reasons:

One. over time I began to come to the conclusion that the original premise alone would tailor this blog for an almost non-existantly small portion of the fandom.  Most Joe fans aren't that interested in stark realism even if they do love things like the Sky Striker and Dragonfly for representing real-life military equipment.  I think most fans love to have their cake and eat it too, and why shouldn't they?

Two.  As my renewed interest in GI Joe expanded, more vehicles I personally started to like and want wouldn't fit the blog's original criteria.  While I struggled with these things I have more or less relegated the blog to being nothing more than a review site, with a post now and then with other thoughts.  I'd like to keep that portion of the format and move forward with incorporating some discussion of military realism with the toys we love, but I wish to stop short of losing portions of the fanbase 

Awhile back I gave a brief synopsis in an entry titled, "A Note About Realism" that this post essentially updates.  I was just too liable to find too much to criticize when I just wanted to re-enjoy my childhood obsession.  Under my original blog criteria, there's just too much to find fault with.

At this point I think I am prepared to shift focus from comparing vehicles with reality and instead start with the assumption that almost all vehicles have a place on the Joe vs Cobra battlefield (The POGO is going to present some challenges here) and then model them into something that might offer a framework for a Role Playing Game someone might make, or at least create the basis for "what vehicle would you want in a fight" discussions.  The limits of physics would factor in these discussions, but wouldn't dominate them.  Moreover, I think it grants me much more flexibility in how I can make assessments which will hopefully mean I can come up with more material to write about.


No comments:

Post a Comment